The Canadian Quarter Horse Association (CQHA) is a national affiliate of the American Quarter Horse Association. Our mandate, designed to re-activate the CQHA, was approved at the AQHA Annual Convention held March 3, 2001 at New Orleans, LA, is as follows:
- The CQHA shall exist to address issues of concern to Canadian owners of American Quarter Horses;
- to be a communications vehicle for and with Canadian owners of American Quarter Horses; and
- to promote and market – both globally and within Canada – Canadian-bred and/or Canadian-owned American Quarter Horses.
In keeping with this mandate, the CQHA joined the Industry Division of Equine Canada, which permits participation and a voice in the affairs of Canada’s only national equine body recognized by the federal government, to deal with issues and legislation affecting horse ownership. Some of these important issues are:
- taxation, (including GST)
- manure management
- endangered species
- animal health and welfare
- a national identification system for horses
- reportable infectious diseases
- access to riding trails
- border crossing barriers
- riparian (water) rights
- land management – municipal zoning – relating to horse numbers
- other benefits of belonging to Equine Canada include potential access to significant Canadian government grants for promoting and marketing Quarter Horses.
The AQHA concurred that it is important Canadian owners of American Quarter Horses be well-represented in dealing with municipal, provincial and federal governments within Canada, a function inappropriate for the AQHA, as an association of a foreign country.
As a result, the AQHA made a commitment to provide funds, through the corporate sponsorship program of MBNA Canada, to pay annual affiliate membership fees to join the Industry Division of Equine Canada for the 2001 to 2016 membership years. The current affiliate membership fee structure for joining the Industry Division of Equine Canada is a maximum of $2,000 per breed association.
The Canadian Quarter Horse Association is the largest equine breed association in Canada. CQHA also represents the largest number of registered horses affiliated with the national equine body, Equine Canada. Click here for Quarter Horse population and membership statistics. Affiliate membership benefits include the right to participate in and vote on the affairs of the Industry Division.
To obtain information on additional Equine Canada membership benefits, including the right to vote at Equine Canada Annual General Meetings and to vote for Board of Directors nominees, please visit their web site at: www.equinecanada.ca