The 2018 CQHA Annual General Meeting will take place in conjunction with
the Quarter Horse Association of Alberta's AGM and Awards Banquet on
Saturday, January 13th at 9:00 A.M. at the Sheraton Conference Centre
3310 - 50th Avenue · Red Deer, Alberta
the generous GOLD Corporate Sponsor of CQHA's AGM
An Annual General Meeting (AGM) is a meeting of members of a company, or not for profit association, at which the members can ask questions and
get information, and must be held every calendar year. CQHA By-Laws dictate that our AGM's must be held within 90 days of the end of our fiscal year.
The main business items conducted at AGMs are:
- a review of highlights arising from the previous year's initiatives;
- reviewing the association's financial statements;
- filling vacancies on the board of directors;
- appointing auditors;
- setting annual membership fees; and/or
- reviewing any proposed changes to the By-Laws
At the 2018 AGM, the Board of Directors has approved to present the following proposed amendment to the CQHA By-Laws:
Moved by Wayne Burwash and seconded by Marnie Somers that:
- Whereas, the current bylaws, Article 8, state that the annual general meeting (AGM) must be held within 90 days after the end of the corporation’s fiscal year;
- And, whereas it is proposed to change the fiscal year end to September 30;
- And, whereas scheduling the CQHA AGM in January of each year has been the best time for member attendance to properly fulfil governance requirements;
- And, whereas having the AGM more than 90 days after the fiscal year end would allow more time to finalize our year-end financial statements and present them to the membership for approval;
- Be it resolved that Article 8 of the CQHA Bylaws be changed at the 2018 AGM to read:
The annual general meeting of the members shall be held within six months after the end of the corporation’s fiscal year, in the city where the head office of the corporation is situated or at a location within Canada that the directors determine.
Click here to download our 2017 AGM meeting package (a PDF File). The 2018 AGM Meeting package will be posted here as soon as available.
Other business matters may also be discussed and voted on.
It is the current policy of the CQHA to hold its AGM in Eastern Canada and Western Canada in alternating years, and in conjunction with another equine conference or event, as determined by a members resolution at the previous year's AGM.
Following incorporation in 2006, the first CQHA AGM was held in August, 2007 during the Canadian National Quarter Horse Show in Red Deer, AB.
Subsequent AGM's were held as follows:
- June, 2008 - in conjunction with the AQHA Youth World Cup in London, ON.
- February, 2009 - in conjunction with the Equine Canada Annual Conference in Ottawa, ON.
- February, 2010 - in conjunction with the Equine Canada Annual Conference in Montreal, QC.
- January, 2011 - in conjunction with the Equine Canada Annual Conference in Ottawa, ON.
- January, 2012 - in conjuction with the annual Alberta Horse Breeders and Owners Conference in Red Deer, AB.
- February, 2013 - in conjunction with the Equine Canada Annual Conference in Ottawa, ON.
- January, 2014 - in conjuction with the annual Alberta Horse Breeders and Owners Conference, Red Deer, AB.
- January, 2015 - in conjunction with the Ontario Quarter Horse Association's AGM and Awards Banquet in Cambridge, ON.
- January, 2016 - in conjuncton with the annual Alberta Horse Conference in Red Deer, AB (see above).
- January, 2017 - in conjunction with the Ontario Quarter Horse Association's AGM and Awards Banquet in Cambridge, ON
Click here to view the complete Past AGM Meeting packages, inlcuding the previous year's AGM Minutes, Financial statements, and year-end highlights.